Friday, November 21, 2008

Chicken Pasta Pomodoro

This meal was an attempt to recreate one of the few frozen entrees that is worth buying- Chicken Pasta Pomodoro by Kashi. My husband often comes home hungry from late night hockey games. I'm not always up to making him a meal at 1 a.m., so we compromised with a few frozen dinners. Having a particularly picky meat-n-taters type of husband, I was surprised when he actually enjoyed this relatively healthy one and asked me to buy him some more. I decided later to try to recreate the dish for the three of us.

Kashi has their own 7-grain penne pasta that I can't buy so I substituted whole wheat, which we've never eaten before. It was actually good, and we eat a lot of traditional pasta. Aside from that, I used the ingredients list as my guide, in addition to the obvious things that it contained, like chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, and red bell pepper. I added bits of sundried tomato and artichoke hearts.

It tasted pretty good, all in all. The only thing it required after serving was a dash or two of hot sauce for zing. I also had to feed it to a two year old, so I had not added any red pepper flakes like I would have if it was just us adults.

The one caveat to this dish: it did NOT taste very good the next day. I don't know if it was the pasta or what, but it was gluey and bland.

I'll probably make some adjustments to the recipe before posting it.

No comments: