Saturday, April 17, 2010

All cake, all the time!

I figured it was about time to get off my lazy rump and update my blog, considering I gave the address to a news crew this afternoon. "What?!?" you exclaim. Yep, I'll be on camera tonight on my local 10:00 news, talking about legislation moving through my state that will allow home bakers and cakers like me to bake for the public out of our homes. Right now, it's against the law.

I love making and decorating cakes, so I do it for my rather large family's birthday parties, graduations, and other causes for celebration. Although I usually get reimbursed for expenses, I'm certainly not making any money in this endeavor. I also stay at home with my 3 year old daughter, and she is my #1 priority, so working in a bakery is out of the question. When I got a phone call yesterday from the owner of a new cake supply shop in town asking me to show up for a news crew's coverage of the pending legislation, I was all over it. I gave an interview in favor of the bill.

In the interim of getting the bill enacted, I'm going to continue making cakes for fun. Here are some pics of recent cakes I've done for my family.

Pistol Pete cake for my younger sister and her friend. They are both Oklahoma State Cowgirls.


SpongeBob and Patrick cake for fun, requested by my uncle for his office.


Birthday cake for my brother-in-law's girlfriend.


Groom's cake for my youngest brother's wedding. He and his wife are both Oklahoma State graduates. Some well-meaning soul stuck daisies on the cake board before the photographer came by. I could kick her for that.


I've also decided, in addition to the occasional family cake, I'm going to adopt a local nursing home and donate a birthday cake every month for the residents. I grew up with all of my grandparents and several of my great-grandparents in my life, and I have a soft spot for "the greatest generation" and old folks in general. It'll give me a chance to do something nice for some nice people in their twilight years, and I'll get to practice the old-school techniques like frilly borders and flowers that I don't usually do on cakes I design.



No comments: