Friday, July 30, 2010

Honey-Walnut Granola


For some reason, certain types of food are quite pricey at the store, despite the fact that they are cheap to make at home. Granola is one of them. Plus, store-bought granola always has something I don't like- either too much sugar, too much fat, or some kind of dried fruit I'm not a fan of. This version is simple, good for you, and SO easy to make.

These measurements are approximate, since I threw this together on a whim.

Honey-Walnut Granola

Preheat the oven to 350º. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together 2 cups of oats (I used old fashioned- quick oats would probably be OK too), half a cup of sliced almonds (you can use more- that's what I had sitting in the pantry), and about a cup and a quarter of walnut pieces (I bought a 6 ounce bag and broke up larger chunks with my fingers).

Mix together about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and about 1/2 cup of honey. This will take a bit of stirring. A fork works better than a spoon. Drizzle the glaze over the oat/nut mixture and toss well with a rubber spatula to coat. Give the whole mess a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, and about a pinch of salt. Toss well.

Bake in the preheated 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown and fragrant, tossing with a spatula about halfway through. Stir again a few times as the granola cools, which will help keep it from sticking to the baking sheet. Store at room temperature in a sealed container.


As you can see from the top photo, I like my granola in parfait form. I layered some homemade Greek yogurt (a future post), a sprinkling of brown sugar, some fresh blueberries, and a generous amount of granola. It's delicious for breakfast OR dessert!

No comments: