Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Five: Pork and Poblano Tamale Pie



Day five of Operation: Expand Horizons fell on Cinco de Mayo, and it was pure coincidence that I had a Latin-flavored dish on the menu for that evening. Bon Appétit's Pork and Poblano Tamale Pie came out well, with a couple of caveats.

First off, this dish is probably not weeknight fare for most people. It's comprised of a pork and green chile stew that is cooked slowly until the meat is tender, transferred to a cast iron skillet, topped with cheese and cornbread batter, and baked. While it's not difficult to make, it is time consuming, so keep that in mind. However, it was very tasty and worth the wait. This was my first time cooking boneless pork ribs, and I will certainly use them again in other recipes.

My husband was not a fan of the cornbread crust, but said that the filling would be great on its own as pork chile verde. I liked the crust, but thought it was a little too thick in comparison to the height of the stew filling.

I was concerned when first reading the recipe that it might prove too spicy for my sissy husband, but it was just right for him and our 3 year old. I will make the dish again, but as a standalone stew rather than a pie.



No comments: