Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day Six: Extreme Makeover - Leftovers Edition

While my intention for Operation: Expand Horizons was to have a new recipe every single day of the month, sometimes practicality must rule the day. Day six became Leftover Makeover day, because I had various items in the fridge that needed to be used and I hate to waste food.

The items I had included sautéed red peppers and onions, egg noodles, spaghetti sauce, grilled zucchini and yellow squash, and homemade bread. Since none of this was meat-related, I decided to use it for lunch for myself and our 3 year-old daughter, as my husband is a die-hard carnivore.

Baby Chef's favorite meal in the world is spaghetti, so I decided to go with that theme. She has been a very light eater lately due to allergies and drainage, so I thought I'd sneak extra veg into the sauce. I threw some peppers, onions, zucchini, and spaghetti sauce in the blender and pureed them together. It turns out to be quite tasty that way. She's weird about noodles and insists that spaghetti is not spaghetti unless it's the long skinny kind, so I boiled some of those for her and heated the egg noodles for myself.

I tossed both kinds of noodles with the spiked spaghetti sauce and added more chopped leftover veg to my own bowl. Slices of homemade wheat bread were buttered, sprinkled with garlic salt and shredded mozzarella, and broiled.

I didn't take any photos because none of it was very pretty to look at, but it all tasted fantastic, and it was super quick to put together. Here's a photo of the homemade bread. I'll make a post dedicated to this bread soon, complete with a recipe.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I make the same thing for Isabel all the time!! Love it! And I've started pureeing veggies for our own spaghetti sauce as well. Its incredible how much flavor you can get without much salt. Isabel however insists on star pasta and that is pretty much the only pasta she will eat. BTW this sauce is awesome for lasagna.